We've moved to 3740 N. Josey Lane, Suite 102, Carrollton, TX 75007, Tel: 972-325-7232, Fax: 972-215-7333


Posted by: Gracemorrison (IP Logged)
Date: July 13, 2009 01:32PM

Can someone please explain what "top-sewing"is, as my pattern says to join a seam with this method.


Posted by: KT (IP Logged)
Date: July 13, 2009 04:50PM

Top sewing is a sewing term. It might mean joining the piece or seams by whipping them together making visible stitch lines where the whipping appears on the top of your item. I suppose it could also be done by doing a series of daisy chains (embroidery term.)

What are you making and what are you sewing together?

Posted by: Alex (IP Logged)
Date: July 14, 2009 02:04PM

The instructions might also mean to use the invisible seam method using only half of each selvedge stitch since the seaming is usually accomplished by holding the pieces next to each other and working from side to side. In other words with the "tops" both showing. That would be a reasonable way to join two thick pieces (which you indicate in your other post).

For instructions see:


I thought they are the same with the simple sewing? There is another meaning of it you mean? It's kinda weird though because I sew a lot and I didn't know about this.

Clarinets for sale