Craft Yarn Council of America Home | Learn To Knit & Crochet Home | BACK

Advertising or commercial messages are not allowed on the forums.

Posters to these boards are knitters and crocheters like yourself. If you have a specific question for the Craft Yarn Council, please send an email message to: info@craftyarncouncil.com

To get the most out of these boards, before posting a topic, we suggest:

Scrolling through past posts to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Postings are in chronological order of the date when the topic was first posted. You can also use the SEARCH function to look for past posts about your question.

If you don't see your question addressed, or if you have additional questions, post a New Topic rather than replying to an existing topic. This will increase the likelihood of getting responses to your specific question. Also, try to describe your specific question in the topic subject line rather than "New Knitter" or "Help."

The more information you can provide in your question, the better the responses.

We hope you enjoy the postings on this board and will come back to share your knowledge with others.

Forums > Knitting

Re: ladder experiment
Posted by: craftsman (IP Logged)
Date: October 13, 2008 10:41PM

In "Simple Socks, Plain and Fancy", Priscilla Gibson-Roberts offers this:

"Regardless of the style or direction of knitting, I always work with a set of five double-point needles. This eliminates the confusion of repositioning the stitches on the needles at the heel. Knitters used to working on sets of four needles will find the additional needle eliminates the problem of a loose stitch where one needle ends and another begins. Why? When knitting with four needles [that is, stitches on three needles, one needle to knit with], the work is always under under tension in the resulting triangle. With a fifth needle [to knit with, having stitches on four needles], the work lies in a square with each corner more relaxed. This allows the tension on the corners to remain relatively constant where one needle ends and another begins." (pages 26-27)

It works for me: I've been using a set of five (four to hold stitches, one to knit with) on my latest sock project and it has eliminated the ladder with no extra effort on my part. I myself have relaxed more as well because I don't feel I'm fighting the work (and the tension) so much.

I also like the fact that when the stitches are resting on four needles, I can collapse the work almost flat (bringing opposite corners together) without harm. When the stitches are resting on three needles, the triangle is too rigid to allow that and I'm afraid I'm going to break off a tip when putting my work in the bag.

Subject Written By Posted
  ladder experiment Alex 10/12/2008 04:39PM
  Re: ladder experiment craftsman 10/13/2008 10:41PM
  Re: ladder experiment Alex 10/14/2008 12:01AM
  Re: ladder experiment KT 10/14/2008 12:09PM
  Re: ladder experiment Alex 10/14/2008 03:52PM

This is the old forum archive. If you have new questions please post in the new forum.

©2007 Craft Yarn Council of America