Craft Yarn Council of America Home | Learn To Knit & Crochet Home | BACK

Advertising or commercial messages are not allowed on the forums.

Posters to these boards are knitters and crocheters like yourself. If you have a specific question for the Craft Yarn Council, please send an email message to: info@craftyarncouncil.com

To get the most out of these boards, before posting a topic, we suggest:

Scrolling through past posts to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Postings are in chronological order of the date when the topic was first posted. You can also use the SEARCH function to look for past posts about your question.

If you don't see your question addressed, or if you have additional questions, post a New Topic rather than replying to an existing topic. This will increase the likelihood of getting responses to your specific question. Also, try to describe your specific question in the topic subject line rather than "New Knitter" or "Help."

The more information you can provide in your question, the better the responses.

We hope you enjoy the postings on this board and will come back to share your knowledge with others.

Forums > Knitting

Re: confusing instructions - knit afghan
Posted by: craftsman (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2009 01:32PM

2) Iím having trouble with instructions that mix the symbols * * and [ ] in the same line.

Row 6: K1, K1B, P1, K1B, K7 *K1B [ P1, K1B ] 4 TIMES; K7; REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 4 STS. K1B, P1, K1B,K1

>>>
KT has already given an excellent and accurate interpretation of the symbols, and an explanation of how to work K1B. I just wanted to add that it may help you to write out the instructions, either on separate lines or with each grouping separate, like this:

K1, K1B, P1, K1B, K7
* (I indent this grouping to make it easier to recognize it)
... K1B
... [P1, K1B] (the [ ] indicate a grouping within the larger * grouping)
... [P1, K1B]
... [P1, K1B]
... [P1, K1B]
... K7
repeat from * to last 4 sts (This is where the * grouping ends)
K1B, P1, K1B, K1

BTW, note that the * grouping could also have been written
... [K1B, P1]
... [K1B, P1]
... [K1B, P1]
... [K1B, P1]
... K1B
... K7
repeat from * to last 4 sts

because you are alternating K1B and P1 on an odd number of stitches, so either the beginning or ending K1B will be outside the [ ] pairs. Either way, I think the [ ] make it easier to see/understand and keep track of what you are working, rather than

... K1B, P1, K1B, P1, K1B, P1, K1B, P1, K1B

I would lose my place in that line and would end up counting K1Bs or P1s anyhow.

All this is knitting shorthand, of course (imagine how long it would be to write all that out completely), but you will get better at deciphering all those symbols, groupings and repeats as you gain experience. And we are always here to help you learn so if you get stuck, please post again.

Subject Written By Posted
  confusing instructions - knit afghan elrodka 01/23/2009 11:17PM
  Re: confusing instructions - knit afghan KT 01/24/2009 11:24AM
  Re: confusing instructions - knit afghan craftsman 01/25/2009 01:32PM
  Re: confusing instructions - knit afghan elrodka 01/31/2009 10:51AM

This is the old forum archive. If you have new questions please post in the new forum.

©2007 Craft Yarn Council of America