Craft Yarn Council of America Home | Learn To Knit & Crochet Home | BACK

Advertising or commercial messages are not allowed on the forums.

Posters to these boards are knitters and crocheters like yourself. If you have a specific question for the Craft Yarn Council, please send an email message to: info@craftyarncouncil.com

To get the most out of these boards, before posting a topic, we suggest:

Scrolling through past posts to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Postings are in chronological order of the date when the topic was first posted. You can also use the SEARCH function to look for past posts about your question.

If you don't see your question addressed, or if you have additional questions, post a New Topic rather than replying to an existing topic. This will increase the likelihood of getting responses to your specific question. Also, try to describe your specific question in the topic subject line rather than "New Knitter" or "Help."

The more information you can provide in your question, the better the responses.

We hope you enjoy the postings on this board and will come back to share your knowledge with others.

Forums > Crochet

Re: hi everyone, ltns
Posted by: moritaegan (IP Logged)
Date: November 18, 2008 12:21AM

Hi Mother Hen

Her name is Ichigo Kohana. Ichigo means Strawberry, and Kohana means "Little flowers" So we call her little strawberry flowers. Both are Japanese words.

I finished crocheting a dress for her, it's hanging in the closet right now. It's from the Frilly Frocks book by Annie Attics. Since it is so lacey, I plan on sewing a slip, and attaching it to dress.

Currently making a sleeping bag for her, that's what the pattern calls it, but it's more like a bunting outfit. The pattern went up to 3 months, but I am making it bigger, can't finish the lenght of it right now, will wait until I am back in Oregon.

Also making a vest for myself, Seaside Blouse from Oat Couture.

I am glad you are learning symbol crochet, it opens up so many more patterns, from so many countries. Lots of coutries uses symbol crochet. I have tons of Japanese crochet books, and constantly adding to my collection. Also have lots of Brazilian Crochet magazines, some German and French magazines. Oh and a couple of Russian crochet magazines.

Only thing you will have to worry about is hook size, as each country has their own method of determining hook size. If you can find a pattern which hook size is in mm, then you can find same size here, but not all patterns uses hook size in mm. Some of the Japanese patterns uses hook size 2/0, 3/0, 4/0 and so on. their 2/0 is not the same as 00 here, as some people think. I actually have a list of what each is when converted to mm, and let me tell you, some of the mm sizes we do not have here in the states.

So far, my son has been in Iraq 2 months, 10 months to go. Will be glad when he comes home, and I can return to my home on a permanent basis. It's hard on me having to travel down to SF for my doctor's appointments. By the time he gets home, Ichigo will be over a year old, and won't know who he is. We have pictures of him, and let her hear his voice when he calls, but it's not the same. At least he was able to spend her first two months with her.

I now have 4 grandchildren, and yes, they do grow up so fast. I am glad that I am in a position to crochet lovely things for them, and sew some clothing. At least they can have some nice handmade items. And I have two nieces which I crochet for. Keeps me busy. Just within the past two years have I started making things for myself. I still feel quilty making things for myself, or selfish, but hopefully with time, I will feel less quilty.

Well, off to crochet some more, then to finish packing. I leave tomorrow night, back to Oregon. Shouldn't really have unpacked, but I did. And thankfully I have some clothes here still, so I can travel lighter. But since my cat is my service animal, she has her own suitcase, with litter, box, food, and things she needs. 16 hours on train, she needs her box.

Take care
jeanette

Subject Written By Posted
  hi everyone, ltns moritaegan 11/17/2008 01:59PM
  Re: hi everyone, ltns Mother Hen 11/17/2008 05:27PM
  Re: hi everyone, ltns moritaegan 11/18/2008 12:21AM
  Re: hi everyone, ltns Alex 11/18/2008 12:51PM

This is the old forum archive. If you have new questions please post in the new forum.

©2007 Craft Yarn Council of America