There are wonderful resources available online, in print and on CDs to help make your crochet and knitting experience more enjoyable. In addition, consider taking classes at your local yarn department or store or joining a guild.
Knitting & Crochet Chat Rooms, Bulletin Boards, Web sites
Crocheters, hand knitters, and machine knitters worldwide communicate with each other via the Internet on a variety of Bulletin Boards and Chat Lists. Be sure to visit the Bulletin Boards at the Craft Yarn Council web site — www.knitandcrochet.com) and at The Knitting Guild Association — www.tkga.com), Crochet Guild of America — www.crochet.org), as well as many offered by guild chapters.
In order to be a "member" of a given list, you need to register with the computer that owns the list, or "subscribe." The easiest way to subscribe to many of the following lists is by going to www.woolworks.org, a very useful-to-knitters web site. Once on the home page, go to Resources, knitting related Computer Resources, Fiber-related Mail Lists. Another suggestion is to log on to www.egroups.com. From their home page, search for knit and crochet list.
- Crochetpartners.org — one of most popular chat areas for crocheters
- Crochet.about.com — a compendium of crochet information from a variety of sources.
- Knitlist — log on to www.groups.yahoo.com/group/knitlist/ -The first and one of largest of the Net's mailing lists about knitting.
- Knitmac, Machknit — log on to www.egroups.com and search for Machine knitters' lists.
- knittersreview.com — forum, plus how tos but more advanced
- Knitting.about.com — a compendium of knitting information from a variety of sources.
- KnitU-www.knittinguniverse.com — a popular knitting site managed by XRX, publishers of Knitter's Magazine
- stitchguide.com — wonderful stitch diagrams and video
- woolworks.org — pattern discussions but more advanced; lists charities
Also visit the web sites of the Craft Yarn Council of America
— www.knitandcrochet.com) and its members. They are full of helpful tips, yarn product news and free patterns.
- All American Crafts Inc. — www.knitnstyle.com
- Bernat/Patons — www.BERNAT.com
- Better Homes and Gardens Creative Collection — www.bhg.com/crafts
- Boye Needle/Simplicity Creative Grou — www.wrights.com
- Caron International — www.caron.com
- Clover Needlecraft, Inc. — www.clover-usa.com
- Coats & Clark — www.coatsandclark.com
- Creative Partners — www.creativepartnersllc.com
- Dynamic Resource Group — www.DRGnetwork.com
- Fisipe — www.fisipe.pt
- Interweave Press — www.interweave.com
- Knitter's Magazine — www.knittinguniverse.com
- F+W Publications — www.krause.com
- Leisure Arts — www.leisurearts.com
- Lion Brand Yarns — www.lionbrand.com
- Meridian Specialty Yarns — www.msyg.com
- The National Needlework Association — www.tnna.org
- Vogue Knitting — www.vogueknitting.com
Industry magazine are another excellent resource for technique information, tips, and patterns.
- Annie's Favorite Crochet — www.AnniesFavoriteCrochet.com
- Creative Knitting — www.DRGnetwork.com
- Crochet! — www.CrochetMagazine.com
- Crochet World — www.Crochet-World.com
- Hooked on Crochet! — www.Hooked-On-Crochet.com
- Interweave Knits — www.interweave.com
- Knit1 — www.knit1mag.com
- Knitting Digest — www.KnittingDigest.com
- Knit It — www.bhg.com/crafts
- Knit 'n Style — www.knitnstyle.com
- Knitter's — www.knittinguniverse.com
- Vogue Knitting — www.vogueknitting.com
Books & CDs
Books are an invaluable resource for every crocheter and knitter and there are thousands from which to choose. Listed below are those books that include helpful information, along with patterns that require less shaping and intricate stitch work. The publishing company is listed first, followed by the book title.
- Artisan Div. Of Workman Publishing
- Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick
- Caron International
- Learn to Knit Video
- Coats & Clark
- Crochet Made Easy CD-Rom
- Knitting Made Easy CD-Rom
- F+W Publications (Krause)
- The Crochet stitch Bible by Betty Barnden
- Easy Knitted Accessories by Jeanette Trotman
- Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman
- Interweave Press
- Crocheters' Companion by Nancy Brown
- Knitter's Companion by Vicki Square
- Martingale & Co.
- First Knits by Luise Roberts
- Knitting with Novelty Yarns by Laura Militzer Bryant and Barry Klein
- The Ultimate Knitter's Guide by Kate Buller
- Simon & Schuster
- A Passion for Knitting by Nancy J. Thomas and Ilana Rabinowitz
- Sixth & Spring Books
- Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book edited by Trisha Malcolm
- Vogue Knitting On the Go Series
- Beginner Basics (knitting) edited by Trisha Malcolm
- Crochet Basics edited by Trisha Malcolm
- Storey Publishing
- Hooked on Crochet by Candi Jensen
- Knit Baby Blankets edited by Gwen Steege
- Knit Scarves! By Candi Jensen
- Wiley Press/Hungry Minds
- Crocheting for Dummies by Susan Brittain and Karen Manthey
- Knitting for Dummies by Pam Allen
- XRX Publishing
- The Knitting Experience: Book 1 The Knit Stitch by Sally Melville, Elaine Rowley and Alexis Xenakis
- The Knitting Experience: Book 2 The Purl Stitch by Sally Melville, Elaine Rowley and Alexis Xenakis