Kiss Me I'm a Prince!
The following pattern is used to make the frog puppet or any other creature you can dream up! In the finishing directions for frog puppet, we mention specific yarn and felt colors, but if you can't find those exact colors, simply use whatever yarn and felt you can find. Have fun individualizing your finger puppet. There are no right or wrong colors!
Abbreviations have not been used in these instructions in order to make it easier to read for even beginning knitters, but the commercial abbreviations are indicated for your information.
The following techniques are used in this pattern:
- cast on
- knit (k)
- purl (p)
- Stockinette stitch (St st)
- increase (inc)
- bind off
The following additional terms are used in this pattern:
- stitch(es) (st) (sts)
- Worsted-weight yarn (this is a great project for leftover yarns since less than one ounce of yarn is needed to complete each puppet)
- Size 8/5 mm straight knitting needles
- Yarn needle
- Odds and ends of felt
It is a good idea to read through the entire instructions before beginning work.
- Cast on 18 stitches.
- Row 1: Knit across row.
- Row 2: (right side row) Knit across row.
- Row 3: Purl across row.
- Rows 4-21: Work in Stockinette stitch (knit right side rows, purl wrong side rows) for 18 rows. Last row worked is a purl side row.
- Row 22: (right side row) Knit 1, increase in each of next 6 stitches (increase made by knitting into front and back of each stitch), knit 4 stitches, increase in each of next 6 stitches, knit 1. There are now 30 stitches.
- Rows 23-39: Continue to work in Stockinette stitch (knit right side rows, purl wrong side rows) for 17 rows. Last row worked is a wrong side row.
- Bind off all stitches. Finish off by cutting yarn 12" from work and pulling yarn through loop left on needle.
For the Frog: Working top of frog's head, with yarn needle and 12" tail of yarn, thread through half of the stitches. Gather tightly, forming one hump over eye. Repeat with other half of stitches. Sew 1 stitch with yarn between gathers. With remaining yarn, overcast or weave seam together on back of puppet.
Using paper punch, cut 2 pink felt circles for mouth. Cut two, 1/2" diameter blue felt eyes, then two slightly smaller black ones.
Cut one each of:
With a crochet hook, work 1" of chain stitch for each foot. Glue all felt pieces to the frog's face, using the photo as a guide.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy and completeness of these instructions. We cannot be responsible, however, for variances in individual techniques, human errors or typographical mistakes.